Random Public Drawing
Applications will be accepted during a publicly advertised open enrollment period each year for enrollment in the following school year. Following the open enrollment period each year, applications shall be counted to determine whether any grade level has received more applications than availability. In the event that this happens, the Charter School will hold a public random drawing (or “lottery”) to determine admission for the impacted grade level, with the exception of existing students, who are guaranteed admission in the following school year.
In the case of a public random drawing, preference shall be given to the following students, in the
- Siblings of students admitted to or attending the Charter School
- Children of staff and board members, not to exceed 10% of the total school enrollment
- Students who are currently enrolled in or reside in the attendance area of the public elementary school(s) where the AeroSTEM Academy school site(s) is located (for the purposes of the Charter School Facility Grant Program)
- Students who reside in the District
AeroSTEM Academy’s lottery drawing procedures include the following:
- All random public lottery drawings will be public, transparent, and fair
- All interested parties will be informed prior to the holding of a lottery of how many openings are available in the Charter School and in the different grades served by the Charter School
- All random public lottery drawings will take place at AeroSTEM Academy in a room large enough to allow all interested parties to observe the drawing
- Parents do not have to be present to participate
- Admission preferences will be granted as previously listed
At the conclusion of a random public lottery drawing, all students who were not granted admission due to capacity shall be placed on a wait list in the order selected according to their draw in the lottery. Interested student information, collected after the lottery, will be held in abeyance for a subsequent lottery, if needed.
Random public lottery drawing rules, deadlines, dates, and times will be communicated through a variety of means such as print, school website, social media, or interested family orientations.